A DIY FUN LEARNING TOY FOR TODDLERS
Our newest DIY toy, a cute snowman pompom drop activity, made with a tissue box! We love converting trash to fun learning toys at our place. This will be perfect for winter or Christmas theme learning for young toddlers who love pushing stuffs into holes and are learning about colors.
To get the pompoms out, simply turn over the tissue box and dig out the pompoms through the opening. The little ones will love digging out those pompoms themselves too! I have been making these pompom drop boxes for my daughter since she’s 1.5 years old (adult supervision is required since pompoms are used here) and now at 3.5yo, she is still loving them. Here’s another The Very Hungry Caterpillar pompom drop box that I made. This is so easy to make and will keep your little ones busy for a long time!
What you need
- A tissue box
- Pompoms in primary colors (red, yellow, blue) and secondary colors (orange, green and purple)
- White, black and blue (optional) construction paper
- A container as the stencil for drawing circles (4” diameter)
- A sharp penknife
- Basic stationery like markers (same colors as the pompoms), scissors, glue
Let’s make the toy!
- Using the container as the stencil, draw 3 circles on the white construction paper. Cut out the 3 circles.
- Cut out a small black hat for the snowman. Glue the hat to the top of one of the circles. Draw a snowman face on this circle.
- With the tissue box opening facing down, cover the tissue box with the blue construction paper (this step is optional).
- Now glue the 3 circles on the tissue box, forming a snowman.
- Using the markers, draw 6 big dots in the primary and secondary colors (3 different colors on each circle) on the snowman body.
- Cut a small hole on each colored dot using the sharp penknife. And the learning toy is ready!
Fine Motor and Color Matching
Set this toy out with some colored pompoms and invite your tot to push the pompoms through the little holes. Invite the older toddlers to match the color of the pompom to the holes and say the name of the colors at the same time.
Share a photo with me if you make this pompom drop toy too! Be sure to check out the rest of our DIY learning toys tutorials. We have lots of fun ideas on our Instagram and Pinterest DIY Learning Toys board too! Pin and make this toy later!