Inside: Learn how to make this cute Feed the Monster Box for a fun preschool letter matching activity!
One of the best learning tricks for young children is to keep practicing. By practicing, I don’t mean asking any 4-year-old to do five pages of worksheets or copy the letters A to Z ten times.
Then how do young kids learn?
They need hand-on experiences to reinforce what they have learnt. A huge bonus if you can make the learning experience fun too. When kids have fun, they associate learning with a positive feeling. Like in this letter matching activity, children search, pick up and touch each letter as they have loads of fun 'feeding the monster'.
Related: Here's another fun hands-on activity to practice letter matching.
DIY Preschool Letter Matching Toy
Do you have a kid who’s learning his/her letters?
Do you have a cereal box?
Then let’s make this cute Feed the Monster box!
Watch the video tutorial or follow the steps below.
- Draw and cut out a cute monster. Paste it on the cereal box. Cut a big hole for the mouth.
- Next cut a small rectangle below the monster. Cut two slits on either side of the rectangle.
- Run a strip of paper through the slits. Secure the ends such that the strip of paper forms a loop around the box. Now write the letters A to Z on the strip of paper.
- Gather your alphabet puzzle blocks and invite your child to feed the monster!
Related: More Halloween theme activities.
More Fun Ways to Practice Letter Matching
Like I mentioned, practice is key to helping children learn! So here are more fun activities that you can set up easily at home for your child.
- Letter Matching with Playdough
- Apple and Caterpillar Matching Activity and Printable
- Duplo Hearts Letter Matching Activity
If you want to find out more about early literacy for children, these may also be useful for you!
- Teaching the Alphabet and Letter Sounds
- Teaching Letter Formation through Play
- Preparing your children to write
- Activities to Support Speech Development in Children
- Hands-On Phonics Activities for Preschoolers
Pin this on your favorite learning activities board!
Bonus: Join my mailing list and download this free guide: 9 Simple Ways to Spark a Love of Learning in your Children. Get this guide now>>