Inside: The Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
This is our MOST POPULAR learning shelf based on our favorite story book! Wonderful story and beautiful illustrations, this book is a must have in every children’s library. We created a whole shelf of learning activities that will be sure to delight every little Hungry Caterpillar fan!
Related: To learn how we do home learning at home with our shelf, check out How HTS Works page first.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Learning Shelf
- Pinterest Idea Board: [theme] THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR
- Unique Hashtag on Instagram: #hungrycaterpillarhts
- Focus Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Additional Resources: The Very Hungry Caterpillar Printables by Empty Jar Illustrations, The Caterpillar Box from Applenana Box shop
*I received a free Caterpillar Box from Applenana Box shop in exchange for featuring the product on this learning shelf. I will only accept/use/feature products that are good fit for my children’s learning purposes on my learning shelf.
This learning shelf and activities are created for toddlers (1.5 to 3 years old) and preschoolers (3 to 6 years old). I have categorized the activities into toddlers and preschoolers age groups, but younger and older children may benefit from all the activities too.
All the activities are categorized into six main learning areas – language, numeracy, motor skills, discovery of the world, arts & creative expression, social & emotional development.
THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR ACTIVITIES FOR TODDLERS (1.5 TO 3 YEARS OLD)
- Drop pom pom into a caterpillar tissue box (motor skills)
- Feed the caterpillar by threading felt food cut outs or these food print outs (punch a hole in each of them) through a green pipe cleaner (motor skills)
- Dot Letter C with dot paint. This activity is from Applenana Caterpillar Box. (language)
THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR ACTIVITIES FOR PRESCHOOLERS (3 TO 6 YEARS OLD)
- Punch holes in a leaf print out with the 26 letters written all around the leaf, following the sequence A to Z (language, motor skills)
- Peg the letters of the child’s name to make a caterpillar (language, motor skills)
- Punch out circles using a circle craft puncher and use the circles to make a caterpillar letter C (language)
- Thread the paper leaves with the words containing 虫 as the radical (部首) through the popsicle stick caterpillar. (language)
- Cut and paste the days of week and fruits on paper plates and make a paper plate caterpillar (language, numeracy, motor skills)
- Make pattern using pom poms. This activity is from Applenana Caterpillar Box (numeracy)
- Measure caterpillars using cardboard ruler (numeracy)
- Play a graphing game with a DIY spinner. Give a sticker to the fruit the spinner points to. View the video on how to play the game here. (numeracy)
- DIY nested life cycle of butterfly puzzle. View the video of this puzzle in action here. (discovery of the world)
- Match names and photos to plastic figures of egg, caterpillar, chrysalis and butterfly and learn about life cycle of caterpillar. These plastic figures and the names tags are from Applenana Box. (discovery of the world, language)
- Sort felt food cut outs or paper food cut outs into healthy and unhealthy food groups (discovery of the world)
CRAFTS, EXPERIMENTS & SENSORY PLAY
- Paper spring caterpillar (arts & creative expression, motor skills)
- Finger print caterpillar (arts & creative expression)
- Hungry Caterpillar green rice and pom poms sensory bin (arts & creative expression, motor skills)
- Potatoes print caterpillar and butterfly (arts & creative expression)
We have a new shelf every month so be sure to check out the rest of our learning shelves and activities!
We are also loving these activities:
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Preschool Alphabet Activity (language) by Simple Today Life
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Letter Puzzles (language) by From Playdough to Plato
- Caterpillar Playdough Invitation (arts & creative expression) by Fun Learning for Kids
- Hungry Caterpillar Necklace Craft for Kids (arts & creative expression) by Buggy and Buddy
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Fine Motor Activity (fine motor) by Modern Preschool
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Sensory Storytelling Tub (language, arts & creative expression) by The Imagination Tree
Pin this for later!
Get exclusive access to my printable page as bonus for joining my newsletter. You also receive my Themes 101 eBook. Get them here >>