We are living so far away from home now and this shelf is especially meaningful because it’s about Singapore, a place where we will always call home. My children had so much fun learning more about Singapore through our Singapore theme activities and shelf. Here’s a summary post of all the activities.
Note: This shelf was created in 2017 when Singapore celebrated her 52ndbirthday, hence explaining all the number 52 in see in this post.
Singapore Theme Learning Activities and Shelf
This learning shelf and the activities are created for toddlers (1.5 to 3 years old) and preschoolers (3 to 6yo). My son was 4 years 5 months old and my daughter was 2 years 1 month old when I made this learning shelf. All the activities have been categorized into the six main learning areas (language, numeracy, motor skills, discovery of the world, arts & creative expression, social & emotional development) that I am focusing on for my children.
LEARNING ACTIVITIES FOR TODDLERS (1.5 TO 3 YEARS OLD)
- Matching colors of the cable cars and pegging cable cars onto a string (numeracy & motor skills)
- Arranging Merlions from tallest to shortest (numeracy)
- Dot a flag, colour a flag and make a felt flag with a Singapore flag activity board. The Singapore flag dot activity is from PlayLeXue and you can download it here. (discovery of the world)
- Pretend play with Hokkien Mee set (from Heartfelt Makan) using chopsticks. (discovery of the world, motor skills)
All the above activities are suitable for the preschoolers too.
LEARNING ACTIVITIES FOR PRESCHOOLERS (3 TO 6 YEARS OLD)
- Roll a die and cover corresponding number of letter ‘d’ on the durian with spikes. (language)
- Matching the Chinese character 星 and 月to the star and moon symbols. (language)
- Search and dot the Chinese character 星 and 月. (language)
- Measuring the height of Merlions (numeracy)
- Differentiate 52 from 25 and dot all the number 52. (numeracy)
- Counting to 52 stars. (numeracy)
- Addition within 10 with stars. (numeracy)
- Counting 1 to 10 and number matching on the paper plate ferris wheel (numeracy)
- 3 parts puzzles of iconic landmarks in Singapore. Watch the video tutorial here. (discovery of the world)
- Spot the difference in the Hokkien Mee (from Heartfelt Makan) game and put in the missing ingredients using chopsticks. (discovery of the world and motor skill)
CRAFT PROJECTS, EXPERIMENTS & SENSORY PLAY
- Duplo block HDB stamping (arts & creative expression)
- Merlion theme water bead sensory bin (arts & creative expression)
- Singapore flag bean sensory bin and make bottle shakers with the beans (arts & creative expression)
- Invitation to decorate a cardboard box cake (arts & creative expression)
- Make a My Home 3D collage (arts & creative expression)
I hope you and your little ones will have fun learning about Singapore with these activities! Be sure to check out the rest of our learning shelves here!