Inside: Children will have so much fun learning and playing with these farm theme preschool activities!
Our absolute favorite activity to do during Spring or Fall is to visit a farm. In Spring, many farms welcome new baby farm animals and they are simply adorable! In Fall, there are many pumpkin festivals taking place at the farms and these events are so much fun for the entire family.
Related: Check out our apple theme learning shelf too!
A farm theme learning unit will be perfect to go along with the visits to the farm. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the farm!
Our FARM Theme Learning Shelf
Note: All the activities have been categorized into the six main learning areas - language, numeracy, motor skills, discovery of the world, arts & creative expression, social & emotional development.
Farm Theme Preschool Learning Activities
- Letters Hunt & Match in a Corn Sensory Bin from Happy Tot Shelf - Hide some letter tiles in a corn sensory bin. Invite your child to search for them and match them to the letter chart. For the older preschooler, you can do upper case letters and lower case letters matching.(language, discovery of the world)
- Paper Plate Sheep Shearing from Happy Tot Shelf - Make this cute paper plate sheep and invite your child to cut the 'overgrown wool' for the sheep (motor skills)
- Farm Animals Diet Sorting from Happy Tot Shelf - An easy to set up invitation to sort the farm animals according to their diet (herbivore, carnivore and omnivore). I first explained what herbivore, carnivore and omnivore mean. Then we looked up the diet of each farm animals and my preschooler sorted them accordingly. (discovery of the world)
- Dotting Letter F from Happy Tot Shelf - Draw circles to form the letter F. Invite your child to paint the dots with finger paint. Dot paint markers, push pins (with supervision), dot stickers are great alternative. (language)
- Bottle caps Letter F is for Farm from Happy Tot Shelf - Make this learning toy by attaching bottle caps to a piece of cardboard to form the letter F. Then cut circle pieces of colored paper and place them in the bottle caps. Invite the child to drop pompoms into the bottle caps by matching the color of the pompoms to that in the bottle caps. This is a fun toy to play with a corn sensory bin too. Children will love scooping the corn into the bottle caps. (language, motor skills)
- Letter F Hunt from Happy Tot Shelf - Write some letter Fs on a piece of paper together with ten more other letters. Invite your child to find all the letter Fs. My daughter used finger paint here but you can use dot paint markers or dot stickers. (language)
- Carrot Harvesting & Number Matching from Happy Tot Shelf - Color some short popsicle sticks green and orange like carrots and write numbers on them. Next, make small slits in an egg carton and poke these popsicle carrots through the slits. Invite your child to pull out a carrot and match it to the number on the number board. My daughter loved poking the carrots back in the egg carton too. (numeracy, motor skills)
- Word Family DIY Puzzle from Happy Tot Shelf - Watch the tutorial to learn how to make one here. We used this DIY puzzle to learn the -ig word family. Keep this DIY toy for learning other word families. (language)
- Farm Themed CVC Words Printable from A Dab of Glue Will Do - My preschooler built 3 letters words using the cute printable and letter beads. (language)
- Farm Animals Beginning Sounds Game from Fun Learning with Kids (language)
- Farm Animals Mystery Book from The Educators' Spin On It (language, discovery of the world)
- Pigs in the Mud Alphabet Match from The Kindergarten Connection (language)
- Exploring Weights on the Farm from Life Over C's
- Easter Eggs Addition from Happy Tot Shelf - Write basic addition questions on one half of the egg shell and the answers on the other half with permanent marker. (Note: I could remove the sharpie easily with rubbing alcohol but please do a test first!) Invite your child to solve the addition questions and match the egg shells. The colors of the eggs don’t match and that’s done on purpose. I didn’t want it to become a color matching activity for my preschooler and distract him from the original intent to learn addition. (numeracy)
- Easter Eggs Addition with a Die from Happy Tot Shelf - To play this activity, toss the die twice and pick out the number of eggs as indicated on the die. Write the addition sentence and solve the question. (numeracy)
Bonus: Join my mailing list and download this free guide: 9 Simple Ways to Spark a Love of Learning in your Children. Join now>>
FARM THEME CRAFTS, EXPERIMENTS & SENSORY PLAY
- Farm Animals in Mud Sensory Bin from Happy Tot Shelf - We made 'mud' or brown oobleck by mixing 2 cups of cornstarch, 1 cup of water and brown food coloring. Put in some farm animals and let the kids have some messy muddy farm theme sensory play! This is a wonderful activity to go with the book Little Blue Truck.
- Scarecrow Process Art from Fun-A-Day (arts & creative expression)
- Washing Farm Animals Sensory Bin from Coffee Cups and Crayons (discovery of the world)
- Milking a Cow from The Inspired Tree House (discovery of the world)
Additional Farm Theme Preschool Resources
- Our Farm Theme Activities Pinterest Board
- Farm Books for Little Learners from Pocket of Preschool
Pin this to your farm theme preschool activities Pinterest board!
Join my mailing list and get my best learning ideas to nurture a love of learning in your inbox. Join now>>
Love your shelf ideas!!! The shelf looks like the billy from ikea. Where did you get those trays with the colored edges? I love how they look and it fits the shelf perfectly. Thank you!
Hello I got them from Target, but they may not be available anymore. You can search Montessori wooden tray on Amazon and you might find similar ones.