Inside: Ready for a new season of school? Check out these amazing Back to school theme activities for children!
This year, I made a huge decision to homeschool my children.
You know how the first day of school is such a unique and amazing experience for the children. I want to make it as amazing as it can be for my children as they begin their home school journey.
Of course, I got to make an amazing Back to (Home) School Shelf for my children!
Back to School Theme Learning Shelf
Note: All the activities have been categorized into the six main learning areas (language, numeracy, motor skills, discovery of the world, arts & creative expression, social & emotional development) that I am focusing on for my children.
Back to School Theme Activities for Preschoolers
- Dot Sticker Ice Cream Name from Happy Tot Shelf - First day of school is always a great time to do a name recognition activity. For kids who can't sit still for more than a minute, try these Gross Motor Activities for Kids to Learn Their Names.
- Preschool All About Me Caterpillar from Happy Tot Shelf - A fun get-to-know-you activity! Free printable available on the blog post.
Related: Here are more All About Me Activities for Preschoolers to Develop Sense of Self.
- Letter Matching with Playdough in a Lunchbox from Happy Tot Shelf - Get these alphabets for the activity.
- Markers color matching in a tissue box from Happy Tot Shelf (numeracy, motor skills)
- Bottle Caps Paint Palette from Happy Tot Shelf - Make this color matching learning toy with bottle caps. Invite your child to drop the pompoms into the bottle caps according to the colors. (numeracy, motor skills) Using kids chopsticks is a great pre-writing activity to exercise those little finger muscles and prepare your child to write.
- Back to School Memory Match Game by From Play Dough to Plato
- All About Me Printables from Natural Beach Living
- Simple Name Crayon Craft from Preschool Inspirations
- School Bus Name Activity from Totschooling
- Paper Clip Flower and Leaves Counting from Happy Tot Shelf (numeracy)
- Apple and caterpillar letter matching activities from Happy Tot Shelf (language)
Bonus: This printable can be found on my subscriber-only Printable page. As a bonus for joining my mailing list, you get access to ALL my printables. Get them here>>
- Apple counting 1 to 5 puzzle from Happy Tot Shelf - Cut the paper apples into half. Write the numbers 1 to 5 on one side and draw corresponding number of dots on the other half. (numeracy)
- Apple addition to 10 puzzle from Happy Tot Shelf - Cut the paper apples into half. Write the number pairs that add up to 10 on each side of the matching puzzle. (numeracy)
- Sewing through the apple following the number sequence from Happy Tot Shelf - (numeracy, motor skills)
Related: If your child enjoys threading, then make this DIY cardboard Fish Sewing Toy!
- Peg on the Missing Number from Planning Playtime - I got these clothespins with numbers from Target but this set of clothespins from Amazon is very similar. (numeracy)
Back to School Crafts, Experiments and Sensory Play
- Name Resist Art from Happy Tot Shelf - Use Washi tape to form the letters of the name on a piece of canvas board/painting paper. Invite your child to paint over the board or paper. When the paint is dry, remove the tapes to reveal his or her name.
- All About Me 3D Apple Book from Hello, Wonderful - Interview your child and write down some fun facts about him/her in the book. Also, ask your child to draw a picture of him/herself. I plan to make one All About Me book every year! (discovery of the world)
- Back to School Photo Paper Plate Craft by Happy Tot Shelf for Hello, Wonderful
More Back to School Resources for you!
- 40+ Back to School Books post from Days with Grey
- Favorite Books for Back to School by Happily Ever Elephant
How are you celebrating the first day of school with your children?
Pin this idea to your Back to School Pinterest Board!
Join my mailing list and get my best learning ideas to nurture a love of learning in your inbox. Join now!