This DIY fish sewing learning activity is wonderful for toddlers and preschoolers to practice threading and basic sewing. No fancy materials needed, you probably have everything at home to make this one in under 5 minutes.
What do kids learn from this sewing activity?
1) Fine motor skills and 2) life skills - basic sewing
Did you know that fine motor practice is helpful for children learning pre-writing? It does not always need to involve pen and paper!
Related: This DIY Snowman Pompom Drop is another super fine motor activity for kids!
What age is this sewing learning toy for?
My 2 y 9mo girl was threading through the holes like a pro. Forget about following the pattern with toddlers. The focus she showed as she navigated the needle into every tiny hole is everything!
But for my 5yo preschooler, I challenged him to follow the bone pattern. This sewing learning activity was at his sweet spot, challenging but not too overwhelmingly difficult for him.
Related: What is your child's learning sweet spot?
- Yarn (I used 30" or 76cm long yarn. It is not enough to finish the sewing the bone pattern of the fish, but this is a good length for kids to handle, without getting the yarn all tangled up. When my kid ran out of yarn, I extended it by tying another 15" or 38 cm yarn to the end.)
- Plastic yarn needle (from knitting shops or amazon) or pipe cleaner
- Sticky tape
- Marker Pen
- A pair of scissors with asharp tip
How to make fish sewing board:
- Draw a fish silhouette and the bone pattern on the cardboard with a marker pen
- Cut out the cardboard fish
- Using the pair of scissors with sharp tip, poke holes at the intersections and ends of the bone pattern
- Thread the yarn through the hole nearest to the head of the fish. Tie a knot at one end and secure it to the board with sticky tape
- Tie the yarn needle to the other end of the yarn. Alternatively you can twist a pipe cleaner into a needle.
Bonus: Join my mailing list and download this free guide: 9 Simple Ways to Spark a Love of Learning in your Children. Get this guide now>>
More ocean theme activities
If you have the chance to go outdoors, then this fishing game made with pool noodles will give your child hours of fun!
Share a photo if you make a DIY Fish Sewing Learning Toy too!
Pin this to your Favorite Kids' Activities board!