Sewing Learning Activity for Kids
This DIY learning toy is wonderful for toddlers and preschoolers to practice threading and basic sewing. No fancy materials needed, you probably have everything at home to make this one in under 5 minutes.
What are the learning areas here?
1) Fine motor skills and 2) life skills - basic sewing
What ages is this learning toy for?
My 2 y 9mo girl was threading through the holes like a pro. Forget about following the pattern with toddlers. The focus she showed as she navigated the needle into every tiny hole is everything!
But for my 5yo preschooler, I challenged him to follow the bone pattern. This sewing learning activity was at his sweet spot, challenging but not too overwhelmingly difficult for him.
Related: More creative DIY toy ideas here!
- Yarn (I used 30" or 76cm long yarn. It is not enough to finish the sewing the bone pattern of the fish, but this is a good length for kids to handle, without getting the yarn all tangled up. When my kid ran out of yarn, I extended it by tying another 15" or 38 cm yarn to the end.)
- Plastic yarn needle (from knitting shops or amazon) or pipe cleaner
- Sticky tape
- Marker Pen
- A pair of scissors with sharp tip
How to make fish sewing board:
- Draw a fish silhouette and the bone pattern on the cardboard with a marker pen
- Cut out the cardboard fish
- Using the pair of scissors with sharp tip, poke holes at the intersections and ends of the bone pattern
- Thread the yarn through the hole nearest to the head of the fish. Tie a knot at one end and secure it to the board with sticky tape
- Tie the yarn needle to the other end of the yarn. Alternatively you can twist a pipe cleaner into a needle.
Bonus: Join my mailing list and download this free guide: 9 Simple Ways to Spark a Love of Learning in your Children. Get this guide now>>
Share a photo if you make one too! If you like more ocean theme activities, check out our ocean theme learning shelf!
Pin this to your Favorite Kids' Activities board!
Joanna Milcheva says
Amazing! Congratulations for that idea and submitting all materials! I am shure Kids endjoy and perform with great pleasure.
Thank you! Glad you like this activity!
Nice idea. Would like to get more such ideas