Inside: An easy shape matching and counting activity for the little pizza lovers! Scroll down to download the free Pizza Math printable.
If you and your little ones love pizza in your home as much as we do in ours, you are gonna love this new pizza math activity! This activity incorporates Math skills like sorting shapes, comparing sizes and counting, along with developing fine motor skills like cutting and pasting.
Pizza Math Shape Matching and Counting Activity
For 2 to 3 years old, use Pizza Math 1 printable.
During the activity, invite your little ones to match and paste the toppings on the pizza base according to the size and shape.
For the 4 to 5 years old preschoolers, use Pizza Math 2 printable.
During the activity, count the number of dots on each topping and paste the topping on matching numbers on the pizza.
Related: Watch this video to understand the 10 Basic Preschool Math Skills for Preschoolers!
Fun Facts about Pizzas for Children
Here are some fun facts about pizzas that you can share with your children before the activity:
- Pizza has been around for a long time – it was first created in Italy in the 1700s!
- The largest pizza ever made was almost as long as a football field!
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in the United States, but you can put all kinds of yummy toppings on your pizza – like cheese, vegetables, or even fruits!
- Some people like their pizza crust thin and crispy, while others like it thick and doughy.
- Pizza is a fun food to make at home – you can make your own dough and add whatever toppings you like.
- Pizza can be a healthy meal if you choose the right toppings – try adding lots of vegetables and using whole wheat crust.
Extending this Pizza theme activity
You can also extend this activity by giving your kiddo some gel markers and asking them to colour the pepperoni and the tomatoes and add olives or bell peppers or more to the shapes to make their pizza as abundant and extravagant as they'd like.
And then, if you want to extend this activity even further, you can all get in the kitchen and whip up a real pizza that the whole family can enjoy.
Happy pizza play, friends!
Looking for more fun counting activities?
For kids who are great at counting, check out these fun early math subitising activities.
If your little ones love this printable activity, you will love everything inside our kids' activity membership, The Happy Learners' Club!