Inside: How to create a reindeer counting toy for your child to learn while celebrating the Christmas Season!
I love creating DIY learning toys around themes. It just adds on the learning fun for the children like this Paper Cup Reindeer! The children will be delighted to peg on the 'antlers' for their paper cup reindeers and learn to count at the same time. It's such a fun activity for Christmas!
How to Play with this Counting Toy
The game is as simple as can be, toss the dice and then peg on the corresponding number of clothespin on the reindeer. It's a fun game for kids who are learning to count! Pegging is also always a fun fine motor activity for the little ones.
Related: Read on to understand how fine motor practice prepares your child for writing.
Variation for the older preschoolers
Present simple addition or subtraction problems like 2+1 or 5-2 and invite the your child to peg on number of clothespins that corresponds to the answer.
Related: Looking for more addition and subtraction activities for older preschoolers? Then check out our Easy Sticky Notes Ice Cream Math Activities for Kids.
What You Need to Make a Paper Cup Reindeer
- 1 paper cup
- 2 8" jumbo craft sticks (If these are unavailable, simply cut two 8" by 1" cardboard strips)
- Brown paint (to paint the paper cup brown)
- 2 goggly eyes
- 1 small red oval
- 6 clothespins
- Hot glue
- A piece of small cardboard as the base
Let's Make this Counting Toy!
We have a video tutorial here to show you how we made this reindeer counting toy. Or simply follow the instructions below.
- Paint the paper cup brown and let dry.
- Glue on the eyes and red nose.
- Glue the paper cup onto the cupboard base with hot glue.
- Cut a slit on the top of the paper cup. Insert the crafts sticks into the slits. The reindeer counting toy is ready!
More DIY Learning Toys and Activities
Share a photo with me and tag @happytotshelf on Instagram if you make any of our DIY learning toys!