I love creating DIY learning toys around themes. It just adds on the learning fun for the children like this Paper Cup Reindeer! The children will be delighted to peg on the ‘antlers’ for their paper cup reindeers and learn to count at the same time. It’s such a fun activity for Christmas!
How to play
The game is as simple as can be, toss the dice and then peg on the corresponding number of clothespin on the reindeer. Pegging is always a fun fine motor activity for the little ones.
Variation for the older preschoolers
Present simple addition or subtraction problems like 2+1 or 5-2 and invite the your child to peg on number of clothespins that corresponds to the answer.
What do you need to make this Paper Cup Reindeer?
- 1 paper cup
- 2 8″ jumbo craft sticks (If these are unavailable, simply cut two 8″ by 1″ cardboard strips)
- Brown paint (to paint the paper cup brown)
- 2 goggly eyes
- 1 small red oval
- 6 clothespins
- Hot glue
- A piece of small cardboard as the base
Let’s make this toy!
We have a video tutorial here to show you how we made this puzzle. Or simply follow the instructions below.
- Paint the paper cup brown and let dry.
- Glue on the eyes and red nose.
- Glue the paper cup onto the cupboard base with hot glue.
- Cut a slit on the top of the paper cup. Insert the crafts sticks into the slits. The toy is ready!
If your kid enjoy such hands on learning activities, I have tons of Christmas theme learning activities here and more DIY learning toys ideas here. Share a photo with me and tag @happytotshelf if you make any of our DIY learning toys!