Presenting our latest addition to our cardboard puzzle family – this DIY Christmas Tree puzzle is perfect for adding some Christmas fun and your child gets to learn about SHAPES at the same time!
And so my DIY puzzle days began
My children are such puzzle lovers, one day I figured I had to make our own puzzles. Over the last two years, I have made so many cardboard puzzles from rainbow puzzle, butterfly life cycle puzzle, seasons puzzle, hearts puzzle and more! The best thing or two about making our own puzzles are 1) I can create any designs for any learning themes and 2) I save so much money from buying new puzzles!
Learning Shapes with this DIY Christmas Tree Puzzle
This puzzle cleverly sneaked in 5 basic shapes, star, triangle, square, rectangle and circle in the design. Use the individual pieces to teach the basic shapes first then let the child build a Christmas tree with the puzzle base!
Free Template Printable
Now for the good news, I have made a template printable and it’s free for download on my subscribers-only Printable pages. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive the password to access the HTS Printable page as a welcome gift!
What do you need?
- The Christmas Tree Shapes Puzzle template (on my subscribers-only Printable pages)
- 2 pieces of card board (at least 8.5″ by 11″)
- Sharp penknife and cutting mat
- Green, yellow and brown paint
- Dot stickers in random colors
- Hot glue
Let’s make this puzzle!
We have a video tutorial here to show you how we made this puzzle. Or simply follow the instructions below.
- Secure the template on one of the cardboard pieces with tape at the 4 corners.
- Following the template, cut the Christmas tree out with a sharp penknife.
- Paint the cardboard cutouts (yellow star, brown square and rectangle, green triangles) and let dry.
- Paste some dot stickers on the green triangles as decorations.
- Use hot glue, stick the piece cardboard with the Christmas tree cut out on top of the second piece of cardboard.
One tip for cutting cardboard is investing in a good sharp penknife. It makes cutting through cardboard easier, faster and smoother! It’s really easy to make your own cardboard puzzles and the possibilities are endless!